First things first – your privacy is important to us. We know that’s what all these kinds of notices say, but we really mean it. You’ve placed your trust in us by using Nearstation.com services, and we value that trust. That means we’re committed to protecting and safeguarding any personal data you give us. We act in our customers’ interest and are transparent about the processing of your personal data.
If you’ve ever used our services before, you know that Nearstation.com offers online travel-related services through our own websites and mobile apps, as well as through other online platforms like partners’ websites and social media. Why mention every one of these? It’s good to know that all the information that follows applies to not one, not two, but all of these platforms. We have several platforms, but one Privacy Statement.
This one Privacy Statement applies to any kind of information we collect through these platforms or other means connected to these platforms (such as contacting our Customer Service team by email). It’s here for less time-consuming reading. However, Trip Providers should also visit the Privacy Statement for Trip Providers.
We might amend the Privacy Statement from time to time. If you care about your privacy, visit this page regularly to know exactly where you stand. If we make changes to the Privacy Statement which will have an impact on you (e.g. if we intend to process your personal data for other purposes than communicated in the past in this Privacy Statement), we’ll notify you of these changes before the new activities begin.
The hard truth: If you disagree with this Privacy Statement, you should discontinue using our services. If you agree with our Privacy Statement, then you’re all set to book your next stay. Let the good times roll!
What kind of personal information does Nearstation.com collect?
We can’t help you book the perfect accommodations without information, so when you use our services there are certain pieces of information we ask for. This is pretty basic stuff – your name, preferred contact details, the names of anybody traveling with you, and your payment information. You can decide to submit special requests for your upcoming Trip (e.g. certain preferences). In addition to this, we also collect information from your computer, phone tablet or other device you’re using to access our services. This can include the IP address, the browser you’re using, and your language settings. There are also situations when we receive information about you from others or automatically collect other information. This is a basic overview of the information we collect, but if you’d like to know more specifics, we go into a lot more detail below. Read more
Why does Nearstation.com collect and use your personal data?
The main reason we ask you for personal details is a very good one – it’s to help administer your online bookings and ensure you get the best service possible. We also use your personal data to contact you and inform you about our latest deals and special offers that we think would interest you. There are other uses, too – if you’d like to find out what they are, keep reading for a more detailed explanation. Read more
How does Nearstation.com share your data with third parties?
There are different parties integrated into the Nearstation.com services in various ways for various reasons. The main purpose is to share your data relevant for your Trip with the Trip Provider to complete your Trip Reservation. There are also other parties that can receive some of your data, which are parties we involve to provide you with the Nearstation.com services, financial institutions, advertisers or in some cases governmental or other authorities. We do not sell or rent your personal data. Below we’ll go into more detail about how information you share with us is used and exchanged with these parties. Read more
How does Nearstation.com process communications that you and your booked Trip Provider might send to Nearstation.com?
Nearstation.com can help you and Trip Providers exchange information and requests about their services and existing Trip Reservations, directing the communications through Nearstation.com. If you want to find out more about how Nearstation.com receives and handles these communications, read on here. Read more
How does Nearstation.com use mobile devices?
We offer free apps which we also collect and process personal data through. This works very much the same way as our website, but they also allow you to use our locations services. Read more
How does Nearstation.com use social media?
The use of social media services may be integrated with the Nearstation.com services in various ways, which can involve us collecting some of your personal data or the social media provider receiving some of your information. If you’d like to learn more about how this information is used and exchanged, keep reading. Read more
What security and retention procedures does Nearstation.com put in place to safeguard your personal data?
We adhere to appropriate and adequate procedures to prevent unauthorized access to, and the misuse of, personal data that we process. Read more
How does Nearstation.com treat personal data about children?
Unless otherwise indicated, Nearstation.com is a service you’re only allowed to use if you’re over 16 years old. We only process information about children with the consent of the parents or legal guardians or when the information is provided to use by the parents or legal guardian. Read more
How can you control the personal data you’ve given to Nearstation.com?
You always have the right to review the personal information we keep about you. You can request an overview of your personal data by emailing us at the email address below. If you want to find out more about your rights to control your personal data, read more here. Read more
Who’s responsible for the processing of personal data on the Nearstation.com website and apps?
Nearstation.com, located in Rome Italy, controls the processing of personal data on its websites and mobile apps. Read more
Ok, so you’re looking for some more specifics. Here’s an in-depth view of the information we collect.
Personal data you give to us.
Nearstation.com collects and uses information that you provide us. When you make a Trip Reservation, you are (as a minimum) asked for your name and email address. Depending on the Trip Reservation, we might also ask for your home address, telephone number, payment information, date of birth, the names of any guests traveling with you, and any preferences (e.g. meal preferences or any mobility restrictions) you have for your Trip.
If you need to get in touch with our customer service team, or reach out to us through other means (e.g. using social media, or communicating with your booked Trip Provider through us), we’ll collect information from you there, too. Guests can also be asked to provide a review to help ensure future guests get exactly what they’re looking for. We’ll collect information from you included in your reviews, like your display name and avatar if you choose one.
There are also other instances where you’ll provide us with information. For example, if you’re browsing with your mobile device, you can decide to enable Nearstation.com to see your current location or grant access to your contact details – this helps us provide you with the best possible service and experience (e.g. to see our city guides, the nearest restaurants & attractions to your location, or other recommendations). You can also open a user account, which allows you to save your personal settings, upload photos, review previous bookings, or plan and manage future reservations or benefit from other features only available to account holders (such as incentives or other benefits we might offer).
You can decide to participate in referral programs or sweepstakes, which involves providing us with personal data. In addition to that, you can provide us with feedback or ask for help with using the Nearstation.com travel services.
Nearstation.com uses the data you’ve provided on the website imanagerpms.it during the check-in online process in order to comply with legal obligations and send it to https://alloggiatiweb.poliziadistato.it/PortaleAlloggiati/
So these data are not stored in our database but are just forwarded to the local authorities
Personal data you give us about others.
Of course, you might not just be making a Trip Reservation for yourself. You might be doing a Trip with other guests whose details you provide as part of the Trip Reservation, or you might make a Trip Reservation on behalf of someone else.
Nearstation.com uses the data provided on the website imanagerpms.it during the check-in online process in order to comply with legal obligations and send it to https://alloggiatiweb.poliziadistato.it/PortaleAlloggiati/
So these data are not stored in our database but are just forwarded to the local authorities
If you maintain a Nearstation.com for Business account, you can also create an address book to facilitate business travel, as well as manage the others’ bookings. In some cases, you can use Nearstation.com to share information with others. This might take the form of forwarding a wish list or participating in referral programs, but such information can only be used as described in the offered interface – check the details there if you want to learn more.
However, now we should point out that it’s your responsibility to ensure the person or people you’ve provided personal information about are aware that you’ve done so, and have accepted how Nearstation.com uses their information (as described in this useful privacy statement).
Personal data we collect automatically.
Even if you don’t end up making a Trip Reservation, when you visit our websites or apps we automatically collect certain information. This includes your IP address, the date and time you accessed our services, the hardware, software or internet browser you use, and information about your computer’s operating system, like application versions and language settings. We also collect information about clicks and which pages have been shown to you.
If you’re using a mobile device, we might also collect data that identifies your mobile device, device-specific settings and characteristics, location details, app crashes, and other system activity. When you make a reservation, our system registers through which means and from which websites you made your reservation or entered the Nearstation.com websites and/or apps.
Personal data we receive from other sources.
It’s not just the things you tell us, though – we might also receive information about you from other sources. These include business partners, such as affiliate partners, and other independent third parties, and anything we get from them may be combined with information provided by you. For example, the Nearstation.com reservation services are not only made available through Nearstation.com and the Nearstation.com apps, but are also integrated into services of affiliate partners you can find online. When you use some of these, you provide the reservation details to our business partner, who then forward your details to us. We also integrate third-party service providers to facilitate payment between bookers and Trip Providers. These service providers share payment information so we can administer and handle your Trip Reservation, making sure everything goes as smoothly as possible for you.
Another example is how we integrate communication services into our platforms to enable you to connect with the booked Trip Provider about your stay, and when we do we receive metadata about communication activities (e.g. where you called, who you are, the date and length of the call, etc.). We might also receive information about you to deliver you more relevant advertisements, like additional cookie data made available to Nearstation.com by social media partners. Please read under Why does Nearstation.com collect and use your personal data? for more information. When you link your Nearstation.com user account to your social media account, personal data might be shared with Nearstation.com by that social media provider, but only when you don’t mind them doing so.
Trip Providers might share information about you with Nearstation.com too – this might happen if you have support questions about your pending reservation when disputes arise about a Trip Reservation (though naturally, we don’t like it when that happens).
We use the information collected about you for various purposes. Your personal data may be used in the following ways:
- Trip Reservations: First and foremost, we use your personal data to complete and administer your online Trip Reservation, which is pretty central to what we do as a company!
- Customer service: We provide international customer service from our local offices in more than 20 languages, and we’re here to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Sharing your relevant details, such as reservation information or information about your user account with our global customer service staff allows us to respond when you need us – including helping you to find appropriate Trip Provider and responding to any questions you might have about your Trip Reservation (or any other queries, for that matter).
- Account facilities: Nearstation.com users can create a user account on our websites or apps. We use the information you give us to administer this account, allowing you to do a number of useful things. You can manage your Trip Reservations, take advantage of special offers, make future Trip Reservations easily and manage your personal settings. Managing personal settings can allow you to keep and share lists, share photos, see previously searched Trip Services easily, and check other travel-related information you have provided. It can also allow you to see any reviews you have submitted. If you want, you can share certain information in your user account by creating a public profile that’s associated with either your own first name or a screen name of your choice. Nearstation.com for Business account holders can save contact details in their account facility, manage their business reservations, and link other account holders to the Nearstation.com for Business account.
- Online groups: We might enable users with an account to join and interact with each other through online groups or forums.
- Marketing activities: We use your information for marketing activities. These activities include:
- Using your contact information to send you news of travel-related products and services when you make a reservation with us or set up a user account. You can unsubscribe from these marketing communications quickly, easily and anytime – just click on the “Unsubscribe” link included in every newsletter.
- Based on your information, individualized offers might be shown to you on the Nearstation.com website, in mobile apps or on third-party websites/apps (including social media sites), and the content of the site displayed to you might also be personalized. These could be offers that you can book directly on the Nearstation.com site, or on co-branded sites, or other third-party offers or products we think might interest you.
- When you participate in other promotional activities (such as sweepstakes, referral programs or competitions), relevant information will be used to administer these promotions.
- Communicating With You: There may be other times when we get in touch with you, including by email, mail, phone or text message – which method we choose depends on the contact information you’ve previously shared with us. And we process the communications you send to us. There could be a number of reasons for this, including:
- Responding to and handling any requests you or your booked Trip Provider have made. Nearstation.com also offers guests and Trip Providers various means to exchange information, requests, and comments about Trip Providers and existing Trip Reservations through Nearstation.com. For more information, scroll down a bit and read the section “How does Nearstation.com process communications that you and your booked Trip Provider may send through Nearstation.com?”.
- If you haven’t finalized a Trip Reservation online, we can contact you with a reminder to continue with your reservation. We believe that this additional service benefits you as it allows you to carry on with a Trip Reservation without having to search for Trip Provider or fill in your reservation details again.
- When you use our services, we might send you a questionnaire or invite you to provide a review about your experience with Nearstation.com or the Trip Provider.
- We might also send you other materials related to your reservations, like how to contact Nearstation.com if you need assistance while you’re away, and information that we feel could be useful to you in planning your trip or getting the best out of your stay. We might also send you material related to upcoming reservations or a summary of previous reservations you made through Nearstation.com.
- Even if you don’t have an upcoming reservation, we might need to send you other administrative messages, which can include security alerts.
- Market Research: We sometimes ask our customers to take part in market research. Any additional personal details you give us as part of the market research will be used only with your consent.
- Promotion of a safe and trustworthy service: In order to create a trustworthy environment for you, your fellow travelers, Nearstation.com’s business partners, and our Trip Providers, we might use personal data for the detection and prevention of fraud and other illegal or unwanted activities. Similarly, we might use personal data for risk assessment and security purposes, including the authentication of users and reservations. For such purposes, we might have to stop certain reservations or put reservations on hold until we’ve finished our assessment.
- Improving our services: We also use personal data for analytical purposes. This is part of our drive to improve our services and enhance the user experience, but can also be used for testing purposes, troubleshooting, and to improve the functionality and quality of our online travel services. The main goal here is to optimize and customize our online platform to your needs, making our site easier and more enjoyable to use. We strive to only use pseudonymized data for these analytical purposes.
- Guest reviews and other destination-related information: During and after the Trip you book through us, you might be invited to submit a review. We can also enable guests traveling with you or on whose behalf you have booked to provide a review. This request asks for information about the Trip Provider or the destination.
- Account holders can choose to either display a review with a screen name instead of their real name (which can be chosen in the user account facility), or else choose to display a review anonymously. Adding an avatar is also possible. By completing a guest review, you are agreeing that it can be displayed on (as described in detail in our Terms and Conditions) the relevant Trip Provider information page on our websites, our mobile apps, our social media accounts, and social media apps, or on the online platform of the relevant Trip Provider or business partner’s website. This is to inform other travelers about the quality of the Trip Service you used, the destination you have chosen or other experiences you choose to share.
- If you indicate whether a guest review is helpful or not, we’ll aggregate this with feedback from other customers in order to sort and prioritize guest reviews. We may use the information in your lists or in other destination-related information you share with us in an anonymous form, unless you’ve included this information in your public profile. This is to help other travelers like you find the right destination and the best accommodations for their needs.
- Call Monitoring: When you make calls to our Customer Service Team, Nearstation.com uses an automated telephone number detection system to relate your telephone number to your existing reservations – this can help save time for both you and our customer support staff. Our customer service staff may still ask for authentication, which ensures your reservation details are kept confidential.
- During calls with our customer service team, live listening might be done or calls could be recorded for quality control and training purposes, which includes the usage of the recordings for the handling of claims and fraud detection purposes. Recordings are kept for a limited amount of time and automatically deleted, unless Nearstation.com has a legitimate interest to keep a recording for a longer period, e.g. for fraud investigation and legal purposes.
To process your personal data as described above, we rely on the following legal bases:
- Performance of a Contract: The use of your information may be necessary to perform the contract that you have with us. For example, if you use our services to make an online reservation, we’ll use your information to carry out our obligation to complete and administer that reservation under the contract that we have with you.
- Legitimate Interests: We may use your information for our legitimate interests, such as providing you with the best appropriate content for the website, emails and newsletters, to improve and promote our products and services and the content on our website, and for administrative, fraud detection and legal purposes.
- In view of purpose A and B, Nearstation.com relies on the legal basis that the processing of the personal data is necessary for the performance of a contract, specifically to finalize and administer your Trip Reservation. If the required personal data is not provided, Nearstation.com cannot finalize the Trip Reservation, nor can we provide customer service. In view of purposes C to G, Nearstation.com relies on its legitimate commercial business interest to provide its services, to prevent fraud, and to improve its services. When using personal data to serve Nearstation.com’s or a third party’s legitimate interest, Nearstation.com will always balance your rights and interests in the protection of your personal data against Nearstation.com’s rights and interests or those of the third party. For purpose H, Nearstation.com also relies where applicable on compliance with legal obligations (such as lawful law enforcement requests). Where needed under applicable law, Nearstation.com will obtain your consent prior to processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes.
In certain circumstances, we’ll share your personal data with third parties.
- The Accommodations You Booked: This one’s pretty important for what we do! In order to complete your reservation, we transfer relevant reservation details to the accommodations you’ve booked. This can include your name, contact details, payment details, the names of guests traveling with you, and any preferences you specified when you made your booking. If you have a question about your reservation, we may contact the accommodation provider and ask them to handle your request. Unless payment is made during the booking process through the Nearstation.com website, we’ll forward your credit card details to the booked accommodations for further handling (assuming you’ve provided us with those details during your booking process). In cases of reservation-related disputes, we may give the accommodation provider information about the reservation process as needed. This may include a copy of your reservation confirmation as proof that a reservation was actually made.
- Your Local Nearstation.com Office: In order to support the use of the Nearstation.com services, your details may be shared with subsidiaries of the Nearstation.com corporate family. To find out everything you need to know about the Nearstation.com corporate family, get in touch with us at Nearstation.com.
- Third-party Service Providers: We may use service providers to process your personal data on our behalf. This processing is for several purposes, including for example sending out marketing material. Third-party service providers are bound by confidentiality clauses and are not allowed to use your personal data for other purposes.
- Payment Providers and (other) Financial Institutions: When a chargeback is requested for your reservation by either you or by the holder of the credit card used to make your reservation, we may need to share certain reservation details with the payment service provider and the relevant financial institution to handle the chargeback. This may also include a copy of your reservation confirmation or the IP address used to make your reservation. Also, we may share information with relevant financial institutions, if we consider it strictly necessary for fraud detection and prevention purposes.
- Competent Authorities: We disclose personal data to law enforcement insofar as it is required by law or is strictly necessary for the prevention, detection or prosecution of criminal acts and fraud. We may need to further disclose personal data to competent authorities to protect and defend our rights or properties, or the rights and properties of our business partners.
- Business Partners: We work with many business partners around the world. Some of these business partners distribute or advertise our services, as well as help our other business partners distribute and advertise their own travel-related services. These business partners may also include the Priceline corporate group, a group which includes Nearstation.com. This may mean that their services are integrated into our website/apps, they’ve been enabled to show you a customized advertisement, or the Nearstation.com online reservation services are integrated into their websites and/or apps.When you make a reservation on one of our business partners’ websites or apps, certain personal data that you give them will be forwarded to us. If customer service is provided by the business partner, Nearstation.com will share details relevant to your reservation with the business partners (as and when needed) in order to provide you with appropriate and efficient support. When you make a reservation through one of our business partners’ websites, the business partners may receive certain parts of your personal data related to the specific reservation. This is for their own internal purposes (such as analytical purposes) and, if requested by you, for the administration of loyalty programs or marketing.When you make a reservation on a business partners’ website, please also take the time to read their privacy policies if you’d like to understand how these business partners may process your personal data. When we offer you other travel-related products and/or services, your information may be shared with the offering business partners to handle or administer your order. For fraud detection and prevention purposes and as strictly necessary, we may also exchange information about our users with business partners.
- Nearstation.basic: You may be able to make a Nearstation.basic reservation. Nearstation.basic reservations are facilitated by third-party business partners. During the reservation process, we are required to share some relevant personal information for that reservation with the third-party business partner. Please review the information provided in the booking process or the reservation confirmation for more information about the third-party business partner and how they further process your personal data.
- Advertising partners: As a way of marketing Nearstation.com services through third-party business partners (to ensure relevant advertisements are shown to the right audience), we may share personal data with advertising partners. This includes your email address. We strive to only share email addresses in a hashed form so they can be matched to an existing customer database. We strive not to share your email address for any other purpose. For more information on personalized advertisements and your choices, read “How are cookies used?” and “What are your choices?” in our Cookie Statement.
How does Nearstation.com process communications that you and your booked accommodations may send through Nearstation.com?
Nearstation.com offers you and accommodation partners various means to communicate about accommodations and existing reservations, directing the communications through Nearstation.com. You can contact Nearstation.com with questions about your reservation or about your accommodation partners through the My Nearstation Page, the Nearstation.com app, and other channels that we may make available.
Nearstation.com may access communications and may use automated systems to review, scan, and analyze communications for security purposes; fraud prevention; compliance with legal and regulatory requirements; investigations of potential misconduct; product development and improvement; research; customer engagement, including to provide you with information and offers that we believe may be of interest to you; and customer or technical support. We reserve the right to block the delivery of or review communications that we, in our sole discretion, believe may contain malicious content, spam, or may pose a risk to you, accommodation partners, Nearstation.com, or others. Note, all communications sent or received using Nearstation.com communication tools will be received and stored by Nearstation.com. Business partners through whose platform you made the reservation and accommodation partners may choose to communicate with you directly by email or other channels that Nearstation.com does not control.
We offer free apps for a variety of mobile devices, as well as versions of our regular website that have been optimized for mobile and tablet browsing. These apps and mobile websites process the personal details you give us in much the same way as our website does – and they also allow you to use location services to find accommodations nearby. With your consent, we may send you push notifications with information about your reservation. You may grant us access to your location data or contact details in order to provide services requested by you. When you upload a picture from your mobile device, your picture may also be tagged with your location information. Please read the instructions of your mobile device to understand how to change the settings and enable the sharing of such data or the receipt of push notifications.
In order to optimize the content of the Nearstation.com newsletter, Nearstation.com combines the searches and reservations made from different computers and devices while you’re logged into your user account on each of these computers and devices. If you don’t want Nearstation.com to combine such data for newsletter generation or to optimize the content of our websites and/or apps, either log out of a device or computer or unsubscribe from the Nearstation.com newsletter.
Personalized advertisements shown to you on other websites or in apps, can be offered based on your activities on linked computers and devices. By opting out of the NAI behavioural advertising program (see in our Cookie Statement under “What are your choices?”), you can opt out of cross-device tracking for advertisement purposes. You should know that logging out of your user account will not actually mean that you opt out of personalized advertisements.
Here at Nearstation.com, we use social media in different ways. We use it partly to facilitate the use of online reservation services, but also to promote our business partners’ travel-related products and services, and to advertise, improve and facilitate our own services.
Logging in with your social media account: We may offer you the opportunity to sign in to a Nearstation.com user account with your social media account, which saves you from having to remember different user names and passwords for different online services. After you’ve signed in once, you’ll always be able to use your social media account to sign in to your Nearstation.com account. You can disconnect these accounts from each other at any time, too.
Integration of social media plugins: We also have integrated social media plugins into the Nearstation.com website and apps. This means that when you click on one of the buttons (such as Facebook’s “Like” button) certain information is shared with these social media providers. If you’re logged in to your social media account at the same time, your social media provider may relate this information to your social media account and possibly present your actions on your social media profile to be shared with others in your network.
Other social media services and features: We may also integrate other social media services (like social media messaging) to interact with Nearstation.com or with your contacts about our services. We may also maintain social media accounts and offer apps on several social media sites. Whenever you connect with Nearstation.com through social media, your social media service provider may allow you to share information with Nearstation.com. If you choose to share, you’ll generally be told by your social media provider which information will be shared. For example, when you log in to a Nearstation.com user account with your social media account, certain information (as authorized by you to your social media provider) may be shared with Nearstation.com. This might include your email address, age, or profile pictures saved in your user account.
When you register with a Nearstation.com social media app or connect to a social media messaging service without having a Nearstation.com user account, the information you choose to share with us may include the basic information available in your social media profile (including your email address, status updates and a list of your contacts). We’ll use this information to help provide you with the service you requested – for example, to forward a message you want to send to your contacts or to create a personalized user experience in the app itself or on our websites. It means we can customize our services to fit your needs, connecting you and your friends with the best travel destinations and analyzing and enhancing our travel-related services. Your social media provider will be able to tell you more about how they use and process your data whenever you connect with Nearstation.com through them.
In accordance with European data protection laws, we observe reasonable procedures to prevent unauthorized access to, and the misuse of, personal data.
We use appropriate business systems and procedures to protect and safeguard the personal data you give us. We also use security procedures and technical and physical restrictions for accessing and using the personal data on our servers. Only authorized personnel are permitted to access personal data in the course of their work.
The services offered by Nearstation.com are not directed at children under 18 years old. The use of any of our services is only allowed with the valid consent of a parent or a guardian. If we receive information from a child under 18 years old, we reserve the right to delete it. In limited cases as part of a reservation, purchase of other travel-related services, or in exceptional other circumstances (such as features addressed to families), Nearstation.com may collect and use information about children only with the consent of the parent.
You always have the right to review the personal information we keep about you. You can request an overview of your personal data by emailing us at the address stated below. Please write “Request personal information” in the subject line of your email to speed things up.
You can also contact us if you believe the personal information we have for you is incorrect, if you believe that we are no longer entitled to use your personal data, or if you have any other questions about how your personal information is used, or about this Privacy Statement. Please email or write to us using the contact details below. We’ll handle your request in accordance with the applicable Dutch data protection law. You can delete your user account at any time by signing in to your account on the Nearstation.com website and removing your account.
Nearstation.com controls the processing of personal data on its websites and mobile apps. Nearstation.com is a private limited liability company, incorporated under the laws of the Italy and has its offices at Via del Muro Linari 31, 00173 Rome. If you have any suggestions or comments about this privacy notice, please send an email to email@example.com and we’ll get right back to you. When it comes to privacy, we’re always here to talk.